2009-01-22 - System log: Lots of suggestions

Read what's going on behind the scenes and in the minds of the developers of Craft Director Tools.
Micael Belin
CTO

2009-01-22 - System log: Lots of suggestions

Post by Micael Belin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:13 pm

And how can we fulfill them all? Simple: we can't.
But we sure as hell try!

Lots of our improvements in the past is derived directly from customer notices and suggestions. It's great to have this huge support by our customers and i'm really happy everytime we get new feedback.

Well, actually, i'm not being fully honest here. Many times (actually lots of them) i get brought down a bit. Not because of the idea itself, but the consequence of it. I'm usually the one putting a hold for idea to get implemented.

There are two ways to traverse a tree. From the leaf or from the root. Suggestions often comes from the leaf direction, where you easily see the gap in the foliage. It looks simple enough to either adjust the surroundings to narrow the gap, or simply stick a new branch into it. However, adding a branch to an existing tree seldom come out successfully, and after a couple of iterations you will end up with a pile of wood instead of a tree.

On the other hand, if you start at the root you will have a perfect understanding on how the tree is structured. You know that if you make certain adjustments at the root, you can make branches grow in a way you desire. But making quick adjustments is much more difficult.

This is always a tradeoff. Ideas shape our tree, but it's my job to insure it will never end up as a pile of wood.